Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Delhi calling

Delhi – have been missing it quite a bit of late. Close my eyes and try to recall my previous visits to the place. All good times come back at once and bring along happiness in tow.

I vividly remember my first rendezvous with the city. I was seventeen. It was four in the morning. I had two sweaters on. My mind was exhausted. I had two suitcases to take care of. I had no book to keep me company. I had six hours of tiring bus journey behind me. My nails were blue with the biting cold. I could not feel my cheeks. My eyes watered voluntarily, every time a whiff of early morning air pushed hurriedly past me. I hated it. All of it. The cold. The quirky people. The crowds. The traffic. The chaos. The sheer madness of it all. I could not wait to get out of the city.

It changed. All of it. I don’t remember when I fell in love with Delhi. Maybe when I saw ten stores, in a row, one after the other, on a busy street, serving only cholay and rice. Must be when I giggled listening to ladies bargaining away with indifferent shopkeepers for tinkling baubles, shimmering fabric and everything else in between. Or was it when I hesitantly asked a stranger the directions to Connaught place and he gave me the most pleasant and comforting smile ever. Had to be when I stared in disbelief at the exorbitant prices of coffee at Wimpy’s. Or maybe when I was wondering whether to have a cheese pizza or not at Nirulas. Was it when we got lost in the maze called Connaught Place? It might have been when I found that there were bookstalls around every curve of Connaught Place, replete with the most eclectic of literary works. Just maybe when I was busy taking in the sight of sugar kissed candies, fresh baked biscuits and an entire array of creamy, delicious and exotic pastries – all at once. Then, I found that moment. It was when I first saw the silhouette of Red Fort, almost translucent, standing tall against a bright winter morning.

The defining moment for me in Delhi was to walk along the lengthy arcade inside the fort, leading right into the Diwan-e-Aam - to see the throne of Akbar - to imagine Birbal whispering a piece of advice or casting a wise glance at Akbar while the court was in progress - to see the ramparts from where the prime ministers of the nation address the people - to imagine the discussions happening about art, literature, history, politics and society in general between the princes, while I was sipping coffee in a restaurant within the confines of the fort, whish was earlier the prince’s quarter – engraving my name on one of those countless trees when I though no one was watching and smiling with pride for an hour, thinking that I had somehow become a part of history of this mystical place, albeit a small part –closing my eyes and wishing to go back to those centuries, when life resided here and the hustle bustle of daily routine was anything but uncommon. I opened my eyes. I was still in front of Diwan-e-Khaas. Studded with gems here and there. Lingering traces of a royalty long lost. No Akbar there. I checked - twice. I moved on to admire the delicate and exquisitely adorned walls of the queen’s chambers.

It was December 15,2001. Since that day, for me, Delhi has been synonymous with Red Fort. I have not travelled a lot till date, but hope to do so, extensively, in due course. I know that there exist places on this planet with monuments of higher architectural finesse and which, indeed, have a greater claim over history, but Red Fort, will always remain special to me, because, in my imagination, the boundary separating the past and the present fade away when I stand on those lands.

Four years. I kept going back to that city. My fascination grew exponentially. But, all good things come to an end. I remember my last visit to the city. I could not say a proper goodbye. I had things to attend to. In a way, am glad that there was no goodbye. I did not want to bid farewell to the city that housed Red Fort – that somehow kept the hope of a reunion alive.

I miss Delhi for the very things I hated at first. I don’t know when I fell in love with Delhi. Was it when – I guess I have come a full circle already. In those four years, I could never figure out a mystery –the roses and chrysanthemums sold on the streets of Delhi, somehow looked bigger and happier than those I found elsewhere. But then, maybe, I am, at the best, exaggerating facts or, at the worst, imagining things. I can’t help it though – I hold Delhi guilty of that one crime – it cast a spell on me and very conveniently, forgot to break it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

feels good to be the first one to comment on your work ... Really cool maam ... when you tell your story na ... it feels like i am right there beside your .. feeling your nerves going high with excitement. Good one Dolly i am so proud of you ... you blogs are really gr8 babes
love

Anonymous said...

well its good , i must say.... yes as the anonymous says i can feel u standing beside me and givin a full tour of Delhi.... one thing i like abt u is i can find a similarity with u and Dan brown....when you two writes u ppl make sure that every nook and corner of tht place or situation is covered..every details every aspect everything... u feel like u r in tht place urself.... i like tht ...very few ppl get this art of takin the readers on a tour with thier writings....

Anonymous said...

Have visited only once to Delhi...but the way u explained it made me tht i travelled with u and has been to tht place many times....Really If Man has Created Such Beautifully Think how God has created the whole earth with The whole beautiness in it....... Doll would definitely like to Visit Delhi with u once as a Guide or at least to explain me taking me bck to tht Golden centuries....

Anonymous said...

good work.. like it the way all comes ..bit by bit.. kool

Anonymous said...

Hats off dolls...Such a vivid description of red fort that I started to think y I dont feel like this when I see our ancient architectures..Tat may be the difference between a gifted writer like you and and an ordinary me..Truly i can feel the spell that Delhi has cast on you.. :-)Good job n keep up the good work dear...

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@Anonymous: Thanx for finally commenting on one of mah blogs diana! Means a lot babe! :)

@Chandy: Dan Brown! Whoa! I repeat, slow it down! Am not that big a fan of him myself anyways. Thanx 4 all the lovely words though :)

@Praison: Sure! Delhi is a place worth going back to :)

@Omar: Thanx 4 that. Glad u liked the post :)

@Sabeela: Muhahahahaha (breakes into an evil, monstrous laugh) :)

Anonymous said...

loved the blog... badly want to visit delhi and see everythin thru ur eyes... and more than that loved ur feedback... u rock dolls..

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@anonymous: Who art thou? Thanks anyways :)

Anonymous said...

hii i would love to read a poem from you...
i can bet on it , that you have written many ...
and this post i amazing... in the sense it made me to think
need your comments on my blog http://lostovertheyears.blogspot.com/

TwoFace said...

its a crime you don't write as often as you should...

please Dolly..please..

Anonymous said...

@Albin: M honoured :P :) Well, one question for you - why cant I access ur blogger profile? :)