Saturday, June 28, 2008

Vanakkam Chennai

I admit that 30 odd hours aren’t enough to know a city – but one does get a feel of the vibe of the place right? I visited Chennai this week and since then I have been thinking of what to write about the place - I thought about it all the way on the return flight- on my way back home – but still could not find the right words to describe the experience.

I had been to Chennai before - when it was Madras - but that was long back - had no memories from those times. This trip wasn’t something that I was looking forward to. It was an obligation – a necessity – to visit the place. When my flight landed at the airport, I braced myself for the supposed nightmare called Chennai. But, I was in for a surprise. The view that met me as soon I exited the airport was awesome – a huge hillock - covered with greens – set against a cloudy, sleepy evening sky. They say first impressions matter and boy was I impressed. I just stood there watching – taking in the beauty of the scene – till our cab arrived. The drive to the guesthouse was slow and rhythmic. I was registering the sights of the city as we sped along. People often tell me that this is a hot, dull and boring city – I met a different Chennai – this one was lively – fresh – exciting. Long rows of brightly-lit shops – coffee stands – people spilling onto roads – cars and buses honking – Tamil scrawled on walls and hoardings here and there – a lonely tree every now and then – the normal daily buzz of life was everywhere.

I was filled with awe the first time I saw IIT Chennai and Anna University. Both have beautiful campuses. Anna Univ. has few beautifully crafted buildings. I just walked around in silence. Just standing on the hallowed grounds of IIT was a surreal experience – honestly. People everywhere in Chennai give such warm and honest smiles to complete strangers. I was having a tough time conversing in Tamil but all people I met were amazingly patient and even the staunchest locals struggled to speak in English and even in Hindi just for my convenience – that was really sweet - we had a hearty laugh over the millions of mistakes I made while speaking in Tamil.

Chennai came across as a city of chruches – almost every busy road – every narrow lane – led to a quiet church – all calm and peaceful – distinct -in contrast with all the chaos surrounding it.

The long, never-ending Marina Beach remained to be checked out. The feel of silky sands on bare feet – gentle waves kissing the shores lazily every now and then – a bunch of excited kids playing cricket – long rows of beautifully coloured boats – nets lying tangled on the shores - fisher men and women at work – looking all busy and important – friends and families sharing good times. I felt all tiny and small standing on the shores and staring at the horizon across deep blue waters. My heart felt light – with happiness. I am sure that beach must have gifted beautiful memories to all who had ever been there.

I approached Chennai as a prejudiced stranger – I don’t know when I became friends with her. Chennai is filled with simple joys – enjoying dosai and a kappi early in the morning with a light drizzle for company – eating hot sambar rice with crisp appalams on a banana leaf - walking along Marina Beach – lazing around in Chennai Citi Centre – exploring Adyar – getting the feel of IIT – speaking in broken tamil and having a hearty laugh over my mistakes – meeting amazingly warm and friendly people – smiling back at shy, curious kids – the veshtis – the Kanjeevarams – I liked every bit of Chennai that I saw – I enjoyed every moment spent there.

Before I knew, I was back at the airport – staring at that beautiful hilly terrain once again. Back to where I started I guess – there was a difference now though – Chennai was no longer a stranger to me.

4 comments:

niki said...

@dolly- you went to chennai and missed out on iddiyapam, what a waste trip u had :p

Anonymous said...

Wots iddiyapam??? :O :O Is it a hybrid of idli n uttapam? Bolo bolo tell tell

niki said...

Iddiyapam is a traditional Kerlaite/ Tamilnadu dish..its like noodles (not the thin types we get in Blore and hyd) its rice noodles served with hot delicious kurma (sambar like)yum..saravanabavan a chain of restaurants is very famous for this..damn why did I remind myself bout this now :x..

understood??:P

Anonymous said...

@Nikesh: Yea - I understood that u shd host the next season of khana khazana :P