Sunday, July 26, 2009

Steady steady..

Yesterday, while I was traveling to Boston, I saw the cutest thing on Dartmouth coach – an old person was seated next to me and he looked pretty tired and sick and sleepy – his hand shivered – his leg was quivering. What caught my attention was his shivering hand – even while he was asleep – reminded me of my grandma. He woke up near Lebanon and was searching for his headphones. He had dropped them off earlier – I offered it to him. That broke the ice between us – he got talking with me – his wife chimed in – they were telling me stories about their life and times – was nice listening to it all.

What amazed me was the love with which his wife was taking care of him – I did not admire it because it was an act of kindness or greatness – it was an act of love. She took care of every little detail for him – he had trouble remembering certain things – she remembered it for him – she finished his sentences for him – she held his headphones for him because he kept losing his grip on them - they had their own jokes - which they kind of understood and I could only guess :) She looked really tired – maybe she had not slept properly – but her eyes twinkled while doing things for him – while filling in small details of the stories that he was telling me – her eyes had a sparkle every time he laughed – she loved him. I saw true love yesterday – first hand – yet again. These were two people who had spent more than 40 years with each other – and still could not get enough of each other – whose love only grew with years.


I want it in my life – someone I want to grow old with – someone who I know will love me on my bad hair days – when I become fat – when I crack the silliest joke and he will laugh with me no matter how lame the joke - when I wear spectacles – when I grow old and lose all my teeth – and he will still think am awesome. I don’t want crazy momentary highs of love – I want that steady glow of love – the glow which fills your life forever and assures you that you will never be alone again.

9 comments:

The Cake Lover said...

awww..that's really sweet :)
True love is growing old together and yet being in love!
And as far as you becoming fat is concerned, well that's never going to happen! :P

Manju said...

inspiring :) Old couples make me senti for so many reasons..

Swaroop said...

good post man.

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@Shaan: :)- even I can smile! Duh! :P

@Manasvi: Thanx re! And me becomin fat - well - see me in fall term n then comment lady! :P :)

@Manju: The reasons being?? :)

@Swaroop: Thanks for your comment - glad u liked it!

Dolly Dwivedi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sid said...

Hey Dolly,

I got the link of your blog from one of our mutual friend's status msg on Google, was tempted to read it in the little time I had, but was worth it. Thanks for writing.

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@Sid: Thanks for reading! :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. nice .... but look at it in a different way.. maybe since the time they got married..the wife took over control in what he did, what he ate, what songs he listened to, what he wore.... all this continued to an extent where he ended up a helpless baby without her. significant that she finished his sentences for him.. watsay ?? :)

Dolly Dwivedi said...

:) its all relative...depends on perception...some find it interfering...some find it endearing...each to his own at the end of the day.