Sunday, November 12, 2006

Dear,

There is something fascinating about catching up with old friends. It feels like meeting an old forgotten version of yourself, that you somewhere, somehow lost track of, along the way. It brings back many old memories and long forgotten jokes. You end up laughing over silly things like school kids all over again.

I was thinking the other day – the whole of last year has been a big episode of friendships for me. I caught up with many old friends after a real long time. We picked up from where we left off and it felt like it was just yesterday that we last spoke.

One particular friend deserves a special mention here. I met her first when I was all of sixteen. She was a shy, reserved and thoughtful girl. She looked like she was unsure about some things and certain about others. We had a hilarious time back then. After college, the conversations were few and distantly spaced in time. But, we somehow, managed to stay in touch, still giggling over the same jokes and discussing everything possible under the sun. I always admired her sense of the written word. I actually read Harry Potter after she yapped about it for several hours. Her heightened interest in literature managed to evoke a curiousity within me, a loyal non-fiction advocate, to browse through the works of Browning, Rowling and Tolkien for starters.

Years later, I met her again at the airport, while she was all set to leave this country, spent 10 odd minutes with her, laughed again over the most dumb things possible and walked back to the car realising that hers was the only friendship of mine, which was more or less consistent all through these years. I walked back realising that I cherished her friendship more than I thought I did. I walked back realising that I was going to miss her more than I thought I would. I guess it sometimes takes a goodbye to make one realise the importance of few people in life. She was one such person.

We still remain in touch. We both swoon at the mention of the name "Hrithik Roshan", read similar kind of stuff (though am more inclined towards non-fiction), get mesmerized by similar poems, we drive each other crazy by trying to outbeat each other at dumb jokes. I cherish her friendship more with each passing day. She always says that I was there for her through some very confusing times, but I think, it mostly was the other way round - she was there for me in many ways than she ever realised and I ever acknowledged.

She was a good friend then. She is an irreplaceable friend now. She will always remain a special and cherished friend. Its true- some friendships are like wine - they keep getting better with time.

8 comments:

niki said...

yes its very true that some frienships last for a lifetime...i have many friends like these most of us seperated now but sometimes we get to talk to each other on phone...and that wud be the best five min of the day....craking the same old jokes making fun of our teachers daughters...cribbing over pathetic results...ploughing through the past is something very natural to the humans..and while doing so if u get the happy times bck nothing like it...cheers to FRIENDSHIP.....

Anonymous said...

yes thats true, its like sand near the sea shore. the waves sometimes wash you away and later take u back at the sea shore. its same in frienship, sometimes u go away to reunite at later stage.this way u always cherish ur friendship. thats the way friends and friendship stays for ever........

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@Niki & Nikhil: Well said, both of u! :) Friendship is indeed a gift we give ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Pallavi showed me this blog and I must say I was so amazed by this description. It was really awesome, I dont have any words to appreciate beauty of words.

But I can only say that it was mind blowing and really true for everyone

Anonymous said...

hey that was awesome!!!!...Cheers to friendship and Dolly!!nearly 8 years its been..but they have been amazing thanks to the friendship we share!!!

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@anonymous: Thanx 4 sayin that! Could u plz leave ur name bhind next time? ;)

@Palz: Cheers to frindship n all the good times Palz!!! :)

Anonymous said...

well true to say its a beautiful feeling this friendship....no tensions no worries,doesnt have to think of whether to say or not...its a open relationship which everyone feels proud of... a rope which u cant untie... cutting it out is the only way.... like the song from sholay "yeh dosti ham nahi chodange thodange to dum agar tera saath na chodange"

Anonymous said...

Really touching and very true Dolls.You are really blessed in this way- to put your emotions in words.Truly it sometimes takes "a goodbye to make one realise the importance of a few people in life".Well said.