Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy 4th!

The blackboards usually listing the specials for the day in front of Boloco's and Dirt Cowboy read that yesterday. That's what the lady at the counter told me at the Co-op - with a warm smile. That reminds me - while walking out of Co-op - I ran into a lady tending to the flowers displayed near the entrance. Now, since I got here, I got to see so many flowers - both exotic and mundane - I don't know the names of more than half of them - though from my limited knowledge , I know that my favorites happen to be tulips and wild lilies - so anyways - I decided to ask this lady which ones she was so lovingly tending to - she told me those were petunias and then wished me a happy 4th. We got talking and I happened to mention to her that 4th of July here reminded me of 15th August back in India. She started telling me the history behind this day and how important this day was to each one of them. As we ended our conversation, she said that she was sure that all the Indians took their 15th August as seriously as Americans took their 4th of July. I nodded at that time and started my long walk back home - her statement got me thinking - did we actually take our independence day seriously - I don't think I can say an absolute undoubted yes to it - to most of us , including me, the day is just another holiday - when in school it meant that I would get sweets to eat - at work it meant another day when I could wake up late. Do I appreciate the efforts that went into making India an independent nation - yes - do I do soemthing to express my pride - no - should I be making an explicit attempt at showcasing my pride - I don't know. As I was thinking about all this and heading towards CVS - I happened to see a fireworks display - one after the other - brilliant colors filled the dark sky - most of the people walking with me on the street paused and just looked at the sky - in awe. The display lasted for almost 10 minutes - now - I was regretting the fact that I could not be in Boston to see the fireworks display - which my friend P so passionately recommended as a must-watch if I was anywhere close to Boston - but I got my fireworks time sitting here in the quiet town of Hanover - I got to enjoy my own little celebration - the sounds and colors reminded me of Diwali. So that was the lead-up to my first 4th here in US - my drumroll - you would get the drumroll joke if you happen to watch "How I met your mother" :) Well - as I get back to enjoying my long weekend - filled with long walks, poetry reading and "How I met your mother" - I wish everyone out there a happy 4th - or as they say back in India - happy independence day :)

No comments: