Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Lessons learnt..

I read this very interesting interview of Sushmita Sen this week in Times Life. She was as usual talking films, beauty pageants and men. In the middle of all this, there was this very interesting question posed to her - What have been some of life's most interesting lessons?She sure did come up with a brilliant answer, but the question got me thinking. What have been life's most interesting lessons that I have learnt so far? Have I lived enough to present a compendium of the lessons life has taught me?

I could give a tongue-in-cheek answer by saying I have learnt that there is a lot left to learn and be done with it (which would not be a bad idea!) But, seriously, when I started thinking about it, there sure were many things that came to my mind. Things might be all serious around me. Nothing might be going my way. But, I have learnt that there is always an excuse waiting to be found for me to break into a smile or share a laugh. Life has taught me the joy of secret laughter. I have learnt that I never cease to surprise myself. Life has taught me never to underestimate others and most importantly - myself. Life has taught me always to be ready for the unexpected with a smile on my face and strength in my heart. Life has taught me that only those who dream big, make it big in life. Life has taught me never to trust some one blindly. Life has taught me that for every enemy there is a friend. Life has taught me to be gentle with the gentle and tough with the tough. Life has taught me to believe in my own ideas and not necessarily follow the crowd always. Life has taught me to laugh when am sad ; to not let everybody's opinion matter; to beware of too much sweetness; to have no shame in tears. Life has taught me that loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making. Life has taught me that nothing is permanent - neither success nor failure. The only thing that matters is consistency at doing your best. Life has taught me that every new day is an assurance of the fact that God believes in me.Life has taught me that at the end of the day, only my conscience matters and not what people think. Life has taught me that there is still loads left to learn! ( couldn't resist adding that tongue-in-cheek remark :) )

All of us learn some of these lessons- sooner or later - either the hard way or the easy way. That's the beauty of life. You get to keep learning all through. You get to keep unlearning all through. And, unfortunately or fortunately, you get to make that choice all through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lifes a school with one class and no divisions... the lessons will depend on how you listen to the classes...so as long as we live we study in that school without any vacation in between

Dolly Dwivedi said...

Well said Chandy! But as I concluded in my post, the unlearning and learning is totally a matter of choice, which sometimes is the deciding factor of how various lives shape up. So, we ought to e careful about the lessons we pick along the way.