Sunday, June 29, 2008

For the love of money?

The moon belongs to everyone - the best things in life are free
The stars belong to everyone - they gleam there for you and me
And love can come to everyone - the best things in life are free


The last time I heard those lines I had laughed at my friend who told them (rather sang them) to me and made him see how only money matters and is the very reason for our mere existence – I could not convince him then – neither could he convince me. Weirdly, I found myself quoting those very lines to another friend recently – I was trying to make him see how one could have good times with no money involved. Again – he could not convince me – neither could I convince him.

This whole turn of events made me wonder - when did I start thinking like that. Money still is very important to me – but is it my raison d'etre – am not sure. Money can buy me every happiness, which I have always dreamed about since forever – I can go to Scotland – I can buy my Mercedes - my Rado - my Vertu – I can shop at Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Prada, Guess outlets – I can stay at the Hilton & the Ritz – I can have several exotic meals at Le Jules Verne on Eiffel Tower – I could have everything that money could buy – but would those things just give me temporary thrill or could those things assure me permanent happiness – am not sure. If money was indeed the answer to all problems, is it true that fantastically rich people are never sad – do they have no problems – is life a party for them always - am not sure.

I don’t need money - to laugh over a joke – to enjoy the beauty of a scenic view – to act like a kid at times – to enjoy the rains – to share good time with friends – to draw different shapes with clouds in the sky – simple joys – small pleasures – genuine happiness. Don’t get me wrong – I definitely agree that money is the pre-requisite for a comfortable life – money cannot be ignored – money is definitely something – but is it everything – am not sure. Money is a means to achieve happiness – but do we mostly confuse it for happiness in itself – am not sure. Jonathan Swift definitely knew what he was talking about when he said that a wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart. Seriously, friends who know me are gonna be real surprised after reading this post – but yeah guys, some thoughts change as life catches up with you :)

The moon belongs to everyone – the best things in life are free” – I think I understand today wot my friend was trying to explain to me back then. Well said dude – rather - well sung.

2 comments:

Prashant Kulli said...

I am surprised to see such a post from you dudette!
Especially these lines :-)

******
I don’t need money - to laugh over a joke – to enjoy the beauty of a scenic view – to act like a kid at times – to enjoy the rains – to share good time with friends – to draw different shapes with clouds in the sky – simple joys – small pleasures – genuine happiness. Don’t get me wrong – I definitely agree that money is the pre-requisite for a comfortable life – money cannot be ignored – money is definitely something – but is it everything – am not sure
**********

Honestly from what I have seen in you, money was always a priority, it should be but I just found it too much.. but still there is something in you which makes you really special in this world :-) Keep the good spirits Dolls!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah really - I knew u would say wot u ve said in your comment above. Many more have said something similar 2 wot u have mentioned thr :)