Monday, December 25, 2006

Forces of Nature

Movies – not my preferred pastime. They don’t interest me much. I belong to that really rare species that prefers to read up movie reviews and get a general overview. I don’t have the time or the patience to sit through for two hours in front of fleeting images. Believe it or not – I find movies boring and tiresome.

I make an exception for a few movies though. Forces of nature - one such movie. I saw it yesterday – again – for the fifth time. Starring Ben Affleck and Sandra Bullock, the movie can be easily classified as a romantic comedy, but I feel this one is a little different from the rest. Everything that happens between the two protagonists through the course of the movie seems like an indication from nature that they are meant to be with each other – they are soulmates. Ben finds himself falling in love with Sandra, inspite of the fact that he is on his way home to get married. He admires the way Sandra embraces life. He hesitantly admits that he finds her smile to be infectious.

Affleck is truly endearing in the movie –as usual. Sandra, sometimes, is a little over the top with her zest for life – but given how good the movie turns out to be, you are willing to forgive and forget the sudden, out-of-place spurts of enthusiasm. I find the movie different because it is unlike any other Hollywood romance. It is not all about dreams, chemistry, mindless fights, petty quarrels, flowers and happy endings. The story never detaches itself from the mundanely irony of life, while it unravels.

Towards the climax, one finds the idealism of their attraction juxtaposed against the pragmatism of life. And the decision is simple. No drama - no tears. Simple acceptance of status quo. The nonchalance with which Sandra moves on with her life and the sheer normality with which Ben marries his fiancée makes a lasting impact.

The movie is a simple yet effective reminder about a very essential thing in life – priorities. A huge lesson in pragmatism every time I watch it –that’s Forces of Nature for me. I don’t think many people have heard about the movie. I am not certain if it was a huge hit. But I am sure about one thing – I can never get tired of watching it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

U WATCH MOVIES?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'm shocked....and 5 times??? thought there was just one movie you had "watched"....

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@Shaan: I have seen quite a few man! How much of a nerd do u think I am eh? :)

niki said...

Well a similar movie WHen Harry met Sally...im guessin ull like that one as well...the difference in this movie is pragmatism shows them they r soulmates...awesome movie...one of the few chickflicks ive seen

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@Niki: I ve seen that one. Love Billy Crystal in it. He rocks!