Sunday, December 03, 2006

There's a right time for everything

Is there a right time to do everything in life? This was the question that came up in my mind when I was talking to a colleague of mine the other day over coffee. I thought the answer was simple – there is no right time defined for everything in life – things can be done as and when you want them to be done. But, I realised that it isn’t that simple. Can an 18-year-old start going to school to learn things from scratch? Can a 40-year-old man go the pub and party all night long? Can a couple married for 20 odd years behave like love struck teenagers? I always thought that the answer to those questions was a unanimous, big yes.

Today, I realise that there are people who beg to differ. I have been meeting them of late. People who divide life into phases and move along. People who feel marriage at the age of 30 is madness. People who feel that the first two years of marriage are the most pleasant ones. People who think that studying beyond the age of 25 is foolishness. People who feel there should be an end to the learning phase of life. People who feel that old age is about pilgrimage, pills and meditation. People who feel that a display of love and affection between our grandmothers and grandfathers is an abnormality. Well, they have their own reasons and beliefs for their line of thought and I respect that, but come on people! Give it a thought once again – please!!!

Digressing away from what I have been wanting to say, the one thing which amuses me the most and which I think I have to mention here is the perception of knowledge among people. I have come across several people who hate reading, saying that their forced relationship with books ended way back in college and they prefer to keep it that way. Well, I feel sorry for the lot – do they have any clue about the huge gamut of ideas, notions, perceptions, thoughts and knowledge that they are missing out on? I can only guess. If it works just fine for them, all I can say is – good for you.

But, even otherwise, in our daily life, why are we, at times, bad learners? Why is it so difficult for us to accept when we don’t know something? I have seen people at my office – even when they don’t know things, they try and put on an act, accompanied by convincing software jargon, just to make you believe that they are technical big shots. Do they have any idea that their act is so transparent that their ignorance is blatantly visible? Why is it that after 8 years of working in the software field, people find it insulting to refer back to a book and get the right answers? The more I thought about it, the more I was asking one question to myself again and again. When do we decide that we need to stop learning? When do we feel that we know enough? Is it a conscious decision?

I have seen a scientist – a very good one at that. I think he’s one wise man and knows quite a lot about his subject, but I have seen him study for hours at stretch – daily - I have never seen him get tired of it. For him, studying is a habit. He tells me that I should inculcate that habit as well. I have always made an effort but when I look at him, I realise that I have a long way to go. That’s a timeless effort – for him, no time is a bad time to study. I am sure when he’s 90, he still will be reading, sitting on his favorite chair, with Kalam’s biography to his right and Bhagvadgita to his left.

Getting back to the discussion on time, this scientist was the man who made me believe that any time is the right time to do anything that I want to do. Time is money – an essential commodity – learn to use it well and more than that - learn to use it right. But most importantly, learn not to make it an excuse, saying this is not the right time for so and so.

Well, all said and done, time – excess of it or absence of it – can be a real, good excuse for several things. We love to believe that we are indeed using the time at hand well - there is a lot of time to do all those things I want to do – this is not the right time – this should have been done way back then – this is not the age to learn dancing – this is not the age to learn something about astronomy. Amidst all the alibis we keep searching for – frantically - in the past and the future, the importance of present is lost, somewhere along the way – we forget that what do we do with our now determines our next. Why do we underestimate "now" so much?

A cheesy line sums it up the best – where there is a will, there is a way and where there is no will, there is a hill. Now, time for me to stop here, but I would like to know what you have to say about the "right time for everything" concept.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a good thought...Though I wouldn't say there is a right time for everything, but yeah, things done at the right time make them inconspicous. No body questions you, you just flow with the wind.

When you do things a little out of order, ppl try to pick u a little. They nudge u if u are slow...they try to advise you and intimidate you if you are young...Basically theres too much intereference !!!

If you can shield yourself from the big world and lead your life, your way...Then, there is no "right" time to things. When you wake up n decide..the time is always most suitably appropriate 4 u :))

PS :: quick guess...scientist u are referring to is uncle (papa)..??

Shaan said...

dolls...for a change you're written well :) hehe...

but yeah i mean it...should be one of your better ones. As for time...i don't agree with ur colleagues either....no1 gave us a time schedule when we were born, atleast i don't recall the nurse handing over a sheet with my goals and objectives with deadlines stated...so why do we say it's too old to live your life? or too old to study? beats me!

Quite a few of us concentrate on things that are irrelevant in our life just in hopes that we are just keeping with deadlines and i we don't become something by the time we are 27...we are nothing...i say it's bull crap...acheiving something when you're young has it's advantages but it isn't the only way to live...

The world around is is today and not tomorrow or yesterday, so live it off well today and have no regrets for tomorrow and you won't have to think of the yesterday you missed.

Might just blog out something abt this eventually...'coz my comments generally suck :)

niki said...

hmmmm...interesting...ive learnt a lot frm my dad who keeps "work" infrnt of everything...and even today he gets up at 4-5 in the mornin with a big fat book in frnt of him...i wud add on here saying that priority is something that cant be neglected...u may not have time to do everything..so priorotise(spell check pls)ur work so whn imp things are completed ull feel more satisfied :-)....good blog.!

Anonymous said...

"There's a right time for everything" . Sounds to me like this ones meant for the disciplined and systematic people.

This question poped up my mind when i saw the blog title

"Are we matured enough to do things whenever we want esp not at the right time?"

Me thinks that if one ain't so then the "Right time for everything" is better. Simply because it'll make one more progressive.

If one is matured enough, Well then your ENJOYING LIFE.

Anonymous said...

well thr is time for everything and also a reason it has to happen ...but very rarely ...i have told the same thing to one more person tht too yesterday....tht time might be late for some and early for some...but it happens becoz of a particular reason.....u just think did something happened in ur life tht is not planned... even if u do something u plan it one sec before tht...u wont do anything unless it hits ur mind.....

Anonymous said...

I read your description about how people define their stages of life according to their ages, but i learnt a while ago form my personal example, that, age is not parameter to determine, your stage. Only when your mind is ready to accept something, only when you feel truely within yourself it is the right time to do something! Thats the right time!!

Anonymous said...

Dolls...missing ??