Sunday, September 03, 2006

Being Atticus Finch...

"To kill a mocking bird" was among one of the first few books that I read and was one of the many reasons that triggered my passion for reading. Fiction is not something that interests me much, I prefer to read about history and incidences that actually influence things around me and affect the future. But, I still can't stop myself from picking up a book from the fiction section occasionally, all in the hope of coming across a character that surpasses Atticus Finch in some way, or atleast matches upto that man.

While reading the book, I completely fell in love with the man's ideals, the manner in which he took everything that came his way; good or bad, the way he proudly fought a losing battle, the way he showed his children the manner in which to lead an honest and respectful existence and finally, for the manner in which he was comfortable just being who he was.

Finch stays with me till date. When I am in doubt, about the right thing to do, or find myself faced with a difficult decision, I always find myself asking this question, "What would Atticus do?" I always get the right answer to my question but following that righteous path shown by Finch is what I have not been able to do on many occasions, for reasons better best forgotten.

Well, why is it so difficult for us to be Atticus Finch in our own, little way? He personifies all those qualities which were spoken of highly in our Moral science classes way back in school, then why this reluctance to accept his ideals?

On the twisted route from being a child to becoming an adult, several instances negate all those teachings that were taught by our parents and teachers. Gradually, "survival of the fittest", "it's a jungle out there", "everything is fair in love and war" are the only teachings that stay back with us..maybe it's because we choose to remember only them...perhaps to justify certain deeds of ours...

Well, maybe that's why Atticus continues to charm me and many others till date..he is a reminder of that long, forgotten world where ethics were the only measure of a successul and good life. He's all that we want to be in our own utopia...but in the real world, I guess, being Atticus Finch is just not enough..one needs to have a streak of Gordon Gekko somewhere as well. All things said and done, Atticus continues to exist in all of us, it's only that we're doing a great job ignoring him.

No comments: