Sunday, September 03, 2006

When do we hear the wedding bells?

I feel it in my fingers...
I feel it in my toes..
Love is all around me..
And so the feeling grows...

Yes, love is all around me these days. Wherever I go, the conversations revolve around love, weddings and everything else in between. Added to this, the fact that one of my closest friends, D, is going to get hooked for life pretty soon (on a totally different track, she's found a fantastic guy for herself :) ). I m seriously very happy for her, but when I started telling other friends and acquaintances about her wedding, the question that everyone (including my ma!!!) invariably popped up was "So, when do you plan to go next???" Phew, I avoided it with a lop sided grin and a drawling "Phhhuuulllleeezzzzzzzz", but the same inane question repeating again and again got me thinking about the relevance of marriage to our perception of life.

Let's face it, we are all but in our twenties..still enjoying the hangover of teenage years and still in the process of making a life. Does marriage exactly fit in our plan right away? My friend D says we have to learn to adjust to the concept of marriage, marriage demands expertise in the art of compromise where it doesn't really matter as to how old you are. My retort to that one is why do I have to adjust to anything at all? Why do I have to include another person's dimension when I make decisions regarding my life and is any one competent enough at 22 to understand the subtle and intricate art of making a marriage tick?

Marriage is a beautiful and sacred institution which should be adopted when you feel you're ready for it and not because you've set a deadline for yourself. Most of the couples I have known and seen, entered marriage without giving it much of a thought , and did it because that was the next logical thing to do in their well thought out plan of life. Well, for such people, times pass by and sooner or later, they learn to lead an existence without love in their lives. Some of these people get lucky too, but how many of us, are ready to risk such an important decision of our lives to the concept of probability?? The problem is, at this age, we are not thoughtful and analytical enough to give marriage the kind of serious thinking that it deserves. Money, power, looks, wits or humour in a man are enough of temptation to make a girl walk the aisle. Love, most of the times, takes a back seat.

The point is, nobody enters wedlock expecting anything other than "and they lived happily ever after..", but the tragedy of it all is that not every marriage has a happy ending. Infact, some marriages don't even have a sad ending, they are doomed to go on and on and on "till death do us part"..Those are the saddest ones.

Well, as for me, marriage is a beautiful thing because I've seen it's awesome side effects on D, but am I ready for it yet? Hell no!!! Right now, am busy experiencing life and learning my lessons and enjoying every bit of it. So, the next time, my nosy neighbor or my grandma or my office colleagues or my friends ask me, "So, when do we hear the wedding bells?? " I'll have only one thing to say..."When I have discovered everything that I possibly can about life and its secrets, and need to rediscover the same things all over again from another person's point of view"...till then, spare me please!!!!

5 comments:

Shaan said...

so dolls....when do we hear bells? ;) haha..

Well said dude!! Often you see people around who talk about how much they fear the words "I do". Fear...wats with it? Are you unsure of it...if so why bother with it in the first place? Marriage is never an adjustment, its something that just comes up when everything is just perfect....you can say...value addition ;)

I've got a couple of friends who're planning on getting married with the weirdest of guys...some whom they too are unsure of...when you ask them why they're doing it...their answer remains...its marriage...its always an adjustment...and adjustments make marriages work. Never understood this and I've never bothered trying to as well.

I agree...life can never be planned, ppl change and the dynamics of life is what makes every day exciting. But does getting married to some weirdo just 'coz he's got the dough, the looks and a personality that lasts just for the first meeting really make sense? Get some sense upstairs ppl!

uhm...guess i better shut my trap...this ain't my blog after all...hehe...yep yep got carried away :) good one dude..and keep em coming!

Deepthi said...

I agree... :)

n i'm sure most girls bet w 23-25 who wanna tell the world "take a break"...agree :)

Anonymous said...

seriously I agree with you... Life's most important decision is rarely ours.. Adjustment is boring.. adjustment isnt selflessness its being a doormat!!and hell!! But when u do meet that special someone, in whichever walk of life u r u want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible..[ok that was borrowed:)]..and that wasnt exactly a comment on the particular post!!

Dolly Dwivedi said...

Well, at the end of it, it all boils down to an individual's perception of the entire issue I guess. And yeah, it would be nice if you add your name to ur comment the next time. thanx!

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@Ganesh: Hahahahahahahahahahaha :)