Tuesday, September 12, 2006

For the first time....

A yacht sailing past the Burj-al-Arab Hotel in Dubai.A beautiful lady, in the arms of a handsome man, pointing excitedly at the hotel. An interesting question, at the extreme left hand corner – "When was the last time you did something for the first time?" I am describing a hoarding of the Emirates Airlines I came across recently. Hats off to the team, which came up with such an innovative idea to market an airline. But, I was not thinking about that right away. The question caught my attention – when was the last time I did something for the first time? Hmmm…that should not be a toughie. I got thinking. Five minutes gone and I still had my thinking cap on. No, don’t judge me right away. I did come up with a few answers but they seemed too dull and mundane. Somehow, I wanted to justify such an innovative question with an equally snappy and innovative answer – something like touching the snow, or stopping the traffic, or go trekking in the forests, or skating around the block, or sitting in a chopper for the very first time, or eating an exotic dish or fruit. I did come up with an interesting answer finally. What my answer was, does not really matter. What I realised was there are very few such "first time" moments in our lives.

Why did we allow our life to settle into a dull and mundane routine? The same hangouts, the same discussions, the same friends, the same jokes, the same serials, the same games, the same comfort zone. When did we allow this monotony to secretly creep into our lives? When did the sense of adventure seep away? When did security and familiarity become the buzzwords? When did we become too busy to get a life? When was the last time we did something for the first time?

3 comments:

Broken said...

havent u tried anything?????

Shaan said...

well dolls, you did do something new recently, you blogged :) and the second thing you did new....you made some sense!!! :))

Its quite true, when most of us just look back into our lives, its hard to find anything new. All of us are focused on something and fail to realise how much we miss out in this world. We still consider something new as just those events that involve, say a new bike, a new car, or maybe a new girl friend.

Three cheers to Emirates for having brought out a good thought...so when was the last time you did something for the first time??

Dolly Dwivedi said...

@Chandy: Of course, i have! :)

@ Shaan: Yeah, I blogged! But not that innovative and exciting answer according to me! :)